Our trip to Asheville was wonderful! We had a great time visiting with family and friends, and celebrating Mr. Anderson's 60th birthday. Tim and I did lots of shopping and exploring around town. Asheville is full of great antique stores, art galleries, and cute mountain crafts. Same way with the restaurants. There are just tons of great little southern style local places , and they are all so delicious. I am missing them already.
Funny story: On the last day, Tim and I were having lunch by ourselves at a cute little place downtown. The tables were positioned very close together, and I noticed the age 40ish couple sitting next to us kept looking at us and whispering to one another and then scribbling notes to each other on the brown paper "tablecloth" on their table. Their hands were hidden by the jars of jelly, ketchup, mustard, etc. so I couldn't peer over to see what they were writing. But I just knew they were writing something about us. At one point I heard the lady say "Write it in French." I thought about catching them off guard and saying "So what are you guys writing about us?" but that's not my personality and plus, what if they weren't? Then I would feel stupid...
When they left, I immediately scooted over to see what was left on the paper. Tim gave me a "what are you doing" look, cause I had had to keep my curiosity all to myself during lunch since he wasn't able to read my lips or my "head nods" as I had earlier tried to explain the hunch I had. And at last my curiosity had an answer. There was an arrow pointing toward our seats with "YOUNG SOUTHERN NEWLYWEDS" written in all caps. (Some words were written in French too, but they were scattered throughout the paper table cloth along with doodles of their names, and some other things. So I don't know whether those words were written about us too, or not, since I took Spanish but not French in school.)
But Tim and I laughed at the "young southern newlyweds" phrase. How had they guessed dead-on?? It was a rare day when I wasn't wearing something frilly and girly and Tim wasn't wearing a polo and khakis. We re-traced our conversation and couldn't come up with what they would have overheard make their conclusions, and we weren't being particularly "lovey-dovey" either. Or at least we hadn't thought so. Tim said the newlywed part might have been from his ring being shiney still, and just the mere fact that we had continual, flowing conversation...and the southern part possibly from my pearls, pink lipstick, and his choice of catfish, grits, and collared greens to eat. Plus, there are definitely a lot more "artsy" people in Asheville, so perhaps our overall appearance just gave it away. Who knows....
Here are a few pictures from the weekend.
such a peaceful view!
Toasting Mr. A for his birthday
Enjoying the mountains
No comments:
Post a Comment