So, back in June we had a photo session in Highlands. I have to say, things went better than they normally do. My hair wasn't as frizzy thanks to being in NC (no FL humidity, woo hoo!) and my husband wasn't complaining about pictures because we were on vacation instead of in the middle of the hustle and bustle of regular life. The photographer also happened to be talented, patient, and random (thanks to a last minute Google search prior to the trip). What can I say? It just sort of clicked. For once! We didn't get as many of just Timmy, due to so much space to run around and explore, but that ended up being OK. As we all know, it's the family shots that are hard to come by. And, let's face it--I've taken a million shots of just Timmy. It's a first born thing I guess even though I'm determined to take just as many of my second as my first and no I'm not pregnant and yes I realize the picture thing is probably unrealistic. Yall can hold me to it when the time comes and no I'm not pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant any time soon. Did I say that already? Oops!
Sorry for the honesty but I guess we are getting the question more and more about when we are having a second one so.... for all you curious people out there, we are spacing them on purpose. I have never wanted to be one of those moms with a 2 year old who still can't communicate well, who isn't potty trained, and who can't play independently very well or help out worth a toot while welcoming a new child into the world. I want to be able to enjoy and invest in each child, and for now I am still really, really enjoying just having one. When it's time for #2 I think we'll know. No time is ever perfect and of course it is all ultimately in God's timing anyway, but I know I want to have the time and energy to invest in each one separately in addition to "as a family." And I totally give props to all my mommy friends who have kids closer together and manage it so well!!! It's just not for me. :)
People ask if I'm concerned that spacing each one too far apart will set them up for not being close. I don't think so. I've observed over the years that even within the same household children can grow up close or not close. It doesn't matter so much about their age as it does their personalities and experiences. I think if both (or all depending on if you have 2, 3, or more) children grow up appreciating the same values, perhaps sharing some of the same goals or at least similar wishes and a common respect and love for one another, then they will end up being pretty close long term. And to me, long term is what matters. As for the short term, all I know is that I don't want to be harried. I want to soak this time up because I love it so. (Yes, even on the long days even if some days test my patience soooo much....and yes, I realize we haven't truly hit the Terrible Two's yet even though we are getting there.) Bottom line... I don't want to "get it all over with" as some people recommend...(and by that I guess they mean the diaper years, the living with creatures who destroy things faster than lightning, the being resigned to limited travel.) Time is already flying by faster than I would like. Lord willing I don't think we'll end up with kids spaced 5 years apart but 3-4 would be nice.
OK, enough with all the rambling reflections/thoughts and the beautiful pictures.....on to a brief glimpse into what daily life has been like lately:
This little boy has had a HUGE appetite the past month!! Never heard of a 17mth growth spurt before, but this boy had one. I can feel it when I hold him, how he's thickening up with some big boy weight not to mention when I watch him devour meals left and right these days.
Fun chasing away hot days, either in our own little makeshift pool or the more refined country club pool. hah!
Loving on Lily...
Ready, set, throw!
Grilling out with friends (i.e. parents let the kids stay up late and play while we attempt adult conversation even if in 2 minute intervals)
So many fun outings together---Children's Museum, Acquarium, Gymboree, Library, Splash Park, Grandma's house, Publix, you name it....My little buddy and I love exploring together. It is so cool to see him absorb experiences on new levels now.
Christmas in July--new car/truck table (down the road a bit when tracks are no longer picked up at random, we'll attempt a train set). We also got a few other new toys or toy stations set up this past week. Hadn't bought new toys in forever and he was ready for a new level of some things. Everyone gets the Summer boredom bug once in a while. Switching things up is good!
So proud of T for some new words and using them appropriately:
push, pull, slow, open, sit, all done, back (as in put it back) brush, bubbles, swing, high, bath tub, yo yo (yogurt), truck, bus, wheel, door, toes, hot, danger, yuck, please, thank you, and LOVE YOU (my favorite of course)
So far he hasn't said "No" a ton yet. If he does say it once in a while he tends to do it in a sweet, sing-song voice "Nah,Nah,Nah" which I suppose is thanks to me saying "No,No,No" in somewhat of a song rather than a harsh no. I know the day will come when I will hear a harsh no back him. Not rushing it!
4th of July feels like forever ago already but here are some pictures from our trip to NC. There, he learned to say chick, goat, and "Dock Dee" for Tractor. We had a great time with family and friends!! Loved the cooler evening temps, change of scenery, and chance to read, play, and just be!! (When we weren't chasing, appeasing, correcting, and strategizing outings around nap times of course.)
Cheers to August! My birthday month. :) I've decided to do 29 up bigger than usual--family dinner, dinner with couple friends, and girls night out with friends. Everyone celebrates 30 big but I'm going to celebrate the last year in my twenties big!!! Much more exciting and called for, don't-cha-think? After all, I'll be parked at this age for many years to come. Haven't you noticed how when women in their 40's or 50's joke about their age they claim 29?
P.S. Ever since this trip, Timothy thinks any open aired vehicle, like a golf cart for instance, is a "Dock Dee"/Tractor. So if you see as at the club happily and maybe even somewhat quietly sitting at our table outside, then park a golf cart within eyesight (which can stretch very far, actually)....expect little T to run as fast as he can and invited himself on for a ride. I'll be 2 seconds behind him to try to talk him out of it and that will be the entertaining part. More than likely he will have to sit there for a minute, get it out of his system, then wave "bye bye wheels" as we try to make as smooth an exit as possible.






















No comments:
Post a Comment