Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Kids say the darnest things


                      June was a great month!!! Lots of adult time...which, I guess you don't realize how much you need until it happens and suddenly you feel refreshed. :)  Tim and I had a great time at the Queen's party, enjoyed two nights out at Bern's with different groups of friends, celebrated my Mom's birthday at Eddie V's, merged two sets of friends together for a night at Oystercatchers, and also managed to escape to The Breakers in Palm Beach for a few days!! Whew!! Busy, but oh so fun. We also hosted a cocktail party at our house, for a co-ed "baby shower" even though the Mom to be didn't open presents, just wanted to enjoy everyone's company and well wishes!! A hot, Florida evening, but so much fun to have a house full. :)   Father's Day was more laid back this year--we had lunch by the pool and the dads/uncles/grandpas all enjoyed watching Timothy swim!



 
Our little man has been saying the funniest things lately and we truly can't get enough of him.
If he picks up something that he can't quite figure out, he says "Ooohh. Hmmm...how this works, Mommy? I think it needs batteries."
 
At the playground the other day, there were about 5 big kids (ten years old or so) blocking the entrance to get on the jungle gym. Bless his heart, Timmy holds up his finger and in his squeaky little 2 year old voice says "Excuse me please."  Naturally, the older boys could care less. But it was so sweet!
 
 
"It's nice to meet you, Mommy!"   He has said this on more than one occasion. I think he has overheard us saying it to people and he is trying out the phrase but of course I crack up every time and respond with "It's nice to meet you too, Timmy! Pretty sure I've known you your whole life though."
 
 
Going to a circus theme birthday party recently... "Mommy, the real Punchinello going to be there?" (There's a clown by that name, on one of his favorite shows.) I told him we'd have to wait and see, but that I knew for sure a balloon twister would be there. When we arrived at the party, there was a clown station set up for the kids to put on silly hats and glasses, etc. (My friend didn't hire a real clown, thinking he/she would scare the little ones)....but, the look on Timmy's face when he saw all the clown stuff was close enough to real for him. He said "Yayyy! Mommy, Punchinello was HERE!" I guess he just figured he left his costume behind. LOL  The balloon girl made him a balloon in the shape of a clown, which of course thrilled him even more and Timmy requested for the clown balloon to get in the bath with him that night. I told him we probably shouldn't get Punchinello wet, so he settled for letting him "watch" him from the side of the bath instead. (I thought kids were supposed to be scared of clowns, but apparently my kid loves them! ... so random!)
 
At playdates if a friend isn't paying attention to him and toddles off to pick up a sippy cup or something, Timmy will say "No. No. No. Come play toys with me! Come back in here!"
 
If I get brave and take him shopping with me for a short while, he walks from aisle to aisle and says "Mommy, look at this shirt! Oohhh....look at that one. That's beautiful!! That's so pretty." (One of my babysitters uses the word beautiful a lot and I think he gets that one from her. haha)
 
 
"I wanna go to a party. I wanna see friends." (Even though the kid has a busier playdate schedule than I sometimes have the energy to keep up with, he NEVER tires of all his buddies and always requests to see them. One day when he was particularly eager to see friends and we didn't have anything schedule, I actually called a close friend and basically invited myself over last minute since they weren't doing anything and said to come on over. hahahah He was so happy and gave me a big hug afterwards.)
 
"Here you go, Mommy. I made it for you." (Then hands me a paper of scribble scrabble, which of course I think is the cutest scribble scrabble ever and which I have to tell myself I CANNOT keep each and every drawing, only the ones that really touch me.)
 
When Tim and I are sitting on the couch together....Timmy's response "Yay!!! I got both!" (Then proceeds to jump in between and snuggle and giggle.)
 
"Look at me! I kickin'!!!" When he's kicking at the pool and he thinks the older kids need an update on what he's doing. LOL
 
"Where'd my angry birds go?" ( He has some itty bitty race cars with angry birds on them and he's always carrying them around and losing them along his way. The fact that we discuss angry birds on a regular basis just cracks me up. I mean, why that? He gets attached to such random things.)
 
 
At the beach, there's a big crane that has taken up residence on our property. He named her Mother Goose immediately and loves to watch her walk around.
 
We went to Gymboree with friends the other day and he stunned me with what he remembered. (We hadn't been there in probably 5 months, yet immediately when we pulled in he said "I gotta take my shoes off!" He remembered the rules there, and it was so cute to hear him vocalize this.)
 
"See ya dudes!" (His Poppy taught him this, and it has stuck. I know hear or say the word Dude more than I ever have in my whole life.)
 
New favorite songs:  Yankee Doodle, the Thomas the Train intro song, BoomDeeAda, Boom Boom Ain't it Great to be Crazy
 
New things he's practicing: His full name, the street he lives on, Mommy and Daddy's name, etc.
 
 
Night Time, Middle of the Night, and Waking up Adventures...
 
Before bed...we read books together then he says "Time for night time prayers, Mommy?" And he is getting better by the day, on mentioning his prayers. These are the moments where it hits me that I'm actually in charge of shaping this person's life in a totally real and irreversible way. Craziness!
 
On the way up to bed... (Daddy carries him upstairs each night....) I hear "Love you so much, Mommy! Love you so much! Love you so much!" about ten times before he settles in.
 
4 AM  " Come play trucks with me Mommy!" Calling this out from his crib.... not kidding. We have NOT made the transition to a big boy yet and whenever we do, it's going to be nuts with this kid. He would play 24/7 if he could. If anybody read my post on the Magic Kingdom, you may recall that he didn't take a nap that whole day. (Every other kid practically looked dead in their stroller, they were so tired and passed out!)
 
Waking up... pretty much the first thing he says every day is "I wanna see the Muffin Man." or "Santa Claus, coming soon?"   The Muffin Man is one of the characters on his show, and he LOVES that song--gives the "Drury Lane" line his all each time. But I swear, the kid dreams about him every night cause this is the first thing on his mind most mornings!!  And as for Santa Claus, I guess that gets reiterated by the fact that we go swimming at the club a lot, and he always wants to go check out the room where he took pictures with him, to see if he's back yet. I definitely have a "character-oriented" kid and I think his imagination is pretty vivid. I'm amazed at how many things he likes to talk about that are abstract, when he doesn't even turn 2 and a half until August and he doesn't have an older sibling.
 
 
 

 
Too hot to be anywhere else but the pool, most days

 
When he jumps off the side, he loves to shout a word--- dolphins, choo choo train, scuba diver, airplane.... something!! And it's so funny to hear what he comes up with.

 
Relaxing at The Breakers!  Can't wait to go back, preferably sooner rather than later!


Yum...
 
 
Party time! I've decided throwing a party takes 3 days. The day before errands, the day of  prepping everything and hosting, the day after...trash take out and deep clean. That's in addition to the weeks in advance of to-do lists and such. Whew.... 2 more this Summer then I'm done till Halloween!


 


Giving Grand Daddy a Father's day card.

MMO still on Tues/ Thurs this summer!
 

Bern's night!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rosemary! I'm Heather and I have a question about your blog that I was wondering if you would be able to answer! If you could email me at Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com that would be great!

    ReplyDelete