I got Timmy this superman cape several months ago but his little imagination wasn't ready for it yet. I held onto it for the right time. After recently observing his new level of "imitating all he sees" and realizing how much he is showing more of an interest in pretend play with his toys....... I decided to pull out the cape. We watched a few you tube clips of Superman in action. And within minutes, the boy who has never liked anything extra on him---no bibs, no pacifiers, no hats, no belts, no jackets........was hooked! He let me Velcro the cape around his neck and was thrilled to stretch out his arms, saying "SuuuuuPPPERRmaaannn!!!"
He ran around in the backyard for at least two hours, climbing up into his fort and back down again...jumping on the trampoline, sliding down his slides. It was a no diaper, wear big boy undies kind of afternoon.
In the future, I can't wait to see him dress up as a cowboy and firefighter...but Superman sure is great because there aren't a lot of "pieces" involved.
I thoroughly believe that children learn through PLAY, and I encourage it as often as I can.
Friends sometimes kid me, saying they want to come over to "Camp Anderson." I laughed the first time I heard it and really didn't think much further of it. Then later it occurred to me....well, I DID go to camp for 15 Summers--6 weeks at a time, and I WAS a camp counselor for 3 Summers as well as a Camp War Eagle Counselor at college. I guess I do have a bit of a "camp background" that naturally weaves itself into my parenting style. As a counselor I always put in my cabin request for the 7 to 9 year olds, the youngest kids at camp. I loved their energy, curiosity, and innocent way of depending on adults for guidance. Some of the young kids I was in charge of have now grown up and are in college themselves now!!!--- ahhh!! Time flies. Some of them have friended me on Facebook and it truly is amazing to get a glimpse into who they have become. I remember braiding their hair, dressing up together and performing skits at evening program, teaching them how to kayak, encouraging them to go on that intimidating 3-day hike with the mountaineering program. I remember squealing over snakes, cooking over camp fires, and singing songs. I tried to go "above and beyond" and be a creative, fun counselor because those were the type of counselors who left the biggest impression on me when I was a young camper. With Summer underway, camp sessions are beginning and I can't help but feel a little tug of longing for those special years---falling asleep under the stars and pursuing outdoor, carefree adventures with friends all day long for weeks on end...making things, trying new things.....Looking back, I am SOOO thankful for what an awesome opportunity that was for personal growth, spiritual growth, lessons in independence, creativity, and more. While those years are well behind me, it makes me smile when Timothy and I have an extra fun day together. A day where we explore and play, and try new things. Perhaps my friends are right after all... a little like camp. :) ....... and for whatever extra effort it takes on my part, I'm totally fine with that....because there will be a day when he's in school all day long and has homework at night, when he's begging to play one more video game, when he has activities/practices to attend, when he only wants to see friends, and when (sigh) I just don't have the energy to keep up anymore because I'm OLD! ... We'll see about that last part...hah! I think the older I get, the more I like the phrase "as long as you're young at heart"! But anyway, point of the story is that everyone needs a dress up day once in a while. A chance to imagine and laugh and be silly.
No comments:
Post a Comment