Friday, March 11, 2011

Spring Time !!!

The past few weeks have just been beautiful around here. The azaleas are in full bloom, the temperature is in the 60's to low 70's with a breeze. And with daylight lasting longer, it's been so nice to get outside after work and take some long walks/jogs. Also, we love having friends over for cook outs this time of year. It's so fun sitting outside for appetizers and drinks, then heading inside to a cheery table. Just love experimenting with all my place settings, and Tim is always a big help with the clean up. (Not to mention the cooking!) The other week when we had friends over, he made a delicious lasagne dish. We eat at Italian restaurants A LOT. There's a great, authentic one right down the street. But I will have to say--his lasagne topped the restaurant!! I received texts the next few days from our friends the next day telling me to thank the CHEF again, that they were making as many nights of left overs out of it as possible. I think that made him feel good!

Gasparilla festivities officially end tomorrow with the St. Patty's Day parade. We've attended some fun events! Now with our weekends free again we'll spend some more time at the beach (and also get back to a regular church schedule! Yikes, we've been so bad lately, sleeping in after the late night events.)

It's been fun following American Idol this year---WAR EAGLE! Paul McDonald went to Auburn with me. He was a Fiji in the pledge class we hung out with a lot freshman year. I so vividly remember seeing him ride around campus with his guitar strapped over his shoulder, playing at the fraternity house, etc. I'm so happy for him that he made it into the top 10 and continues to do well. He's got a unique, raspy voice and a lot of confidence/experience on stage having toured with his band the past five years. I love seeing friends on Facebook cheer him on--the AU family definitely sticks together and supports one another!

Since I don't post very often, I'll go ahead and mention a couple "upcoming" things:

I'm wrapping up my provisional year at the Junior League and getting excited for this next year. I volunteered to be a placement mentor and, after the sign-up process was complete, "got it."  I think this will be a good leadership position without taking on TOO much. Basically, I will be assigned to 25 girls to make sure they are feeling plugged into the league, help "place" them with community projects and answer questions/put them in touch with the right people if they want to get more involved. I look forward to getting to know the girls in my group and being as helpful as I can! This whole time I've been a provisionaly, I've really been proud to learn of all the ways the Junior League impacts the community. It's truly mind boggling how many thing just one organization can do. We have about 1200 members and literally every single girl I've met have been SO on top of it. Unfortunately I don't think I'll ever have the time to committ as much as is needed to make such a large organization run. But I have met some really wonderful girls who HAVE dedicated that kind of time and I think it's great, how passionate they are about it.

Another fun, upcoming thing is getting back involved with Berkeley!...I'm received a phone call the other day telling me I had been nominated to serve on the Berkeley Alumni Executive Committee. I was sort of surprised because I hadn't volunteered for an alumni events in about two years. But I think getting more involved will be fun. The longer I'm in "the real world" the more I think I appreciate my highschool experience there. It really did teach me a lot of great things: hard work, discipline, respect for others, how to stand up for myself. And whenever I receive the monthly alum magazine, I am always so impressed by the exceptional programs they are developing and by the huge amount of parent support. On the committee, I'll attend about 8 meetings a year and be assigned to one alumni project/event in particular to help organize and put on.

Tim has lots of trials in April and May, but we are still trying to get a Key West and/or California trip in the works! With how busy work has been, I would love to get a way for a few days! Our ski trip was great back in January, but skiing is also a lot of hard work/paying attention!! Overlooking the water in the Keys or admiring the countryside of Napa sure sounds relaxing to me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment