Wednesday, April 8, 2009

TRIP TO KEY WEST!!


Tim and I just got back last night from spending about 4 days in Key West. We went with two other married couples, and the occasion was to celebrate the boys turning 30 this year. Though this wasn't planned, the weekend also happend to be our "sixth month anniversary." We spent the first half of our honeymoon in Key West, so it was fun being back there together exactly sixth months to the day. We had a really wonderful time. Here are some pictures!!!

** The day we arrived, outside of Albury Court where we stayed.


** It was a recently re-done bed and breakfast. The rooms were set-up more like hotels, but the whole place still had the charm of an old inn and they still served breakfast every morning. 

**This is us strolling around by the marina, checking out all the pretty yachts. We ate at several local seafood restaurants, most of them right here off of the water...so we had beautiful views AND excellent seafood that's about "as fresh as it gets," since all of the fish is caught right there in the waters surrounding the Keys.

** Tim and John wondering why we're taking pictures of them. And us wondering what boys talk about when we're out of earshot. 
** Tim and I on our scooter!! Rhian has some good ones of us on her camera, but she hasn't sent them to me yet so for now I just have our shadow--which is kind of a cool picture I think.


** Rhian and John on their scooter. And Meg and Will on their scooter a little farther ahead.
**This is Meg, me, and Rhian on the porch of where they stayed before heading off to dinner one night. Earlier that day, we did some shopping and toured some old homes and beautiful gardens while the boys roamed around looking at all the fishing boats and rode their scooters. They LOVED those scooters, and I have to agree that they are a lot of fun. Out of context, they seem so goofy but in Key West just about everyone rides them, even among the cars and trollies. 
**Rhian captured this candid shot of us. 

** Dinner at Michael's. Our food was excellent, and it was fun having our private room to celebrate the birthday night. Tim's mom called ahead and ordered us a bottle of wine and 2 cheesecakes, which was very sweet of her.

***The day before we left, the six of us hired a private charter boat to take us out snorkeling and kayaking. It was a lot of fun, although I don't have pictures of us with all our "gear" on. I wish I did, cause I'm sure they would be quite humorous. But it was just too difficult to pass the camera around with the boat rocking back and forth and us trying to keep our balance while wearing flippers and goggles. The water was really clear, we saw tons of fish and beautiful corals and shells. We also saw a ship wreck, but luckily it wasn't me who saw the fake skeleton inside first, otherwise the whole island probably would have heard my scream!!

** The water was full of so many beautiful shades of blue and green. And I thought this picture was  pretty, as all the birds kept flying around and sitting on this old ship wreck.
**This dress was made by a local Key West artist. She had tons of beautiful patterns with bright colors.  Perfect for summer!! And since she was going out of business, everything was marked down to only $10 or $15 !!! ....awesome! (Stuff was normally priced at $60 to $100!!!)  Needless to say, with that great of a deal, I splurged on a few skirts and sundresses that will last me a while. 

** Dinner just the two of us at Cafe Sole...our new favorite!


   
      Below are some random pictures I took. I so enjoyed taking in all the beautiful architecture of the homes, the various kinds of Palm trees and colorful flowers, the sunsets, and the boats and the birds.  Key West definitely has a unique style and atmosphere that's so different from the rest of Florida. It doesn't even feel like we're in our own state when we're there. Everything is just so laid-back and relaxing, yet energizing at the same time. There's music at every turn, something beautiful or historic to see at every turn, and since the island is only 6 miles long it's very easy to get around and experience it all.












**  Below is a clip of Tim and Rhian doing Kareoke at "Rick's" on Key West's famous Duval Street. Rhian knows the lyrics to just about every song imaginable, so she really didn't even need the words on the screen. 
 

1 comment: